Sunday, May 29, 2016

'Clean the Holy Ganga, clean Holy Varanasi' - by K.J.S.Chatrath


Cleanliness work going on in the Holy Ganga at one of the ghats in Varanasi.

I was happy to read yesterday, a  statement by the Union Water Resources Minister that Holy Ganga would become one of the cleanest rivers in the world within two years. The positivity and confidence with which this statement has been made is very promising.

With this background let me say something about my last visit to Varanasi in March 2016. This was my fourth visit to the holy city. I may also add that I have trekked up to Gomukh four times during the last few decades, the last time being about 4 years ago.

While I am sure the learned people and environmentalists must have made a good plan for cleaning of Ganga, I would draw their  attention to the photograph taken by me on the Ganga Ghat in Varanasi in March 2016. It shows the cleaning work going on. Which means dirt and rubble being pushed back into the river with preassure of water hose.

My take is simple. Why not stop putting trash in the river, rather than putting the trash into it first and then getting it cleaned. It also follows that collection of garbage and its scientific disposal on the cities on the  banks of the Ganges need to to be made world class.

I have my sincere doubts if we would be able to achieve this within the next two years as hoped by the Hon'ble Minister.  But if this happens, and I hope it does, I will be one of the happiest persons.

P.S. Painting the sketch/spectacles of Mahatama Gandhi on every garbage can around India lacks sensitivity and is not the best way of remembering and paying homage to that great man of India.

Jai Hind. ...
Mera Bharat Mahaan...
I love my India.
  .....
My websites & blogs:
www.fiftyplustravels.com,
www.gravematters.in,
www.traveltalk.co.in
www.anaap-shnaap.blogspot.in,
www.francophilesonly.blogspot.in,
indianrestaurantsworldwide.blogspot.in/
www.indianheritagephotos.blogspot.in
Email: kjschatrath@yahoo.co.in; chatrath@gmail.com


2 comments: